End stage heart failure, left ventricular assist device (VAD), and heart transplantation patients and their families have to deal with unusual costs that are stressful financially during long-term hospital stays. Many patients also cannot afford to connect with their families and to the outside world electronically and the resources within hospitals are limited.
Our Heart of Survival program works with hospitals to fill the gap of covering the costs not covered by other means such as transportation, parking, lodging, food and other survival tools for these patients and loved ones who are facing long hospital stays. Currently, the Heart of Survival program is being piloted at Tufts Medical Center in Boston.
- Assistance in hotel or lodging costs for patient families based on need
- Assistance in transportation and food costs
- Parking passes to hospital parking
- Tools to patients to connect with the support community, the outside world and to loved ones via the “IPAD, YOU_PAD, WE_ALL_PAD Loaner Program”.
- A loaner library of internet books and movies for patients to access via their IPAD.
- Directory of psychiatrists or clinical psychologists that can help them deal with the extremely stressful and traumatic events.