Heart Failure Patient Resources
We know how difficult it is to navigate heart failure and its challenges. We hope the following list of heart failure patient resources–that helped us during our journey–may also assist you in coping with the stress that comes hand-in-hand with heart failure illness and hospitalization.
February 2021 American Heart Month
- Feb 1 – How to keep your heart healthy and to prevent and/or manage heart failure.
- Feb 2 – What are the symptoms of heart disease in women?
- Feb 5 – National Wear Red Day. Did you know ONE in THREE women in the U.S. is living with some form of cardiovascular disease?
- Feb 9 – A woman’s average heart rate is FASTER than a man’s by EIGHT beats per minute! Here are 26 more helpful heart facts.
- Feb 14 – Read our co-founder Bob Romer’s heart transplant Survivor Story.
- Feb 15 – Happy Heart Failure Awareness Week! Read more from our friends at the HFSA about heart failure awareness, patient education, and heart failure prevention.
- Stay tuned for more links coming throughout the month!
Do You Or A Loved One Need Assistance?
Books We Love:
Click a book icon to read its details page.
Former Vice President Dick Cheney and his longtime cardiologist, Dr. Jonathan Reiner, share the story of Cheney’s thirty-five-year battle with heart disease—providing insight into the incredible medical breakthroughs that have changed cardiac care over the last four decades.
Throughout his life, Kyle Garlett hated nothing more than losing, and he knew early on that four diagnoses of cancer could not match his spirit of competition. His appetite for victory and his love of life pushed him over his health hurdles—including a bone marrow transplant, hip replacement, and heart transplant—and into the greatest challenge of his life: the Ironman World Championship.
A collection of powerful stories told by 50 people who have been through the heart transplant experience.
This is my journal I kept when my daughter Lauren Meizo became sick and eventually ended up needing a heart transplant.
The Nicholas Effect is the story of the shooting of seven-year-old Nicholas Green. It tells how the Greens’ decision to donate their son’s organs saved the lives of five Italians and restored the sight of two others.
Heart Failure Society of America Modules:
*Check back! We are adding all modules February (Heart Health Month) through April (Donate Life Month) 2018
- Module 1 – Taking Control of Heart Failure
- Module 2 – How to Follow a Low Sodium Diet
- Module 3 – Heart Failure Medicines
- Module 4 – Coming soon
- Module 5 – Coming soon
- Module 6 – Coming soon
- Module 7 – Coming soon
- Module 8 – Coming soon
- Module 9 – Coming soon
- Module 10 – Coming soon
- Module 11 – Coming soon
Helpful Websites & Apps:
- American Heart Association
- American Society of Transplantation (or call 856-439-9986)
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Heart Failure Society of America
- Mended Hearts
- Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN)
- United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS)
- Reiki and Heart Disease
- Elaine DeJoy, Certified Reiki Energy Healer in Rhode Island